News and events
International Mathematical Union honours Nalini Joshi
Professor Nalini Joshi has been elected Vice-President of the International Mathematical Union, from the start of 2019. She becomes the first Australian to hold this position.
Vale Leon Poladian (1964-2018)
We are deeply saddened by the untimely passing of our colleague A/Prof Leon Poladian, whose many contributions to the University of Sydney, and to the mathematical sciences in Australia, will be long remembered.
ARC grant successes for funding commencing in 2018
The following members of the School of Mathematics and Statistics have been awarded Australian Research Council funding for projects commencing in 2018:
- Dr Oded Yacobi, Dr Kevin Coulembier and Professor Julia Pevtsova: New Dualities in Modular Representation Theory (Discovery Project).
- Dr Anne Thomas, Dr Elizabeth Townsend Milicevic and Assistant Professor Petra Schwer: Affine flags, Euclidean reflection groups and folded galleries (Discovery Project).
- Prof Georg Gottwald: Mathematical model reduction for complex networks (Discovery Project).
- Prof Alexander Molev: Quantum vertex algebras (Discovery Project).
- A/Prof Peter Kim, Dr Federico Frascoli, A/Prof Adelle Coster and Prof Chae-Ok Yun: Dynamical systems theory and mathematical modelling of viral infections (Discovery Project).
- Prof Martin Wechselberger: A geometric theory for nonstandard relaxation oscillators (Discovery Project).
- Prof Georg Gottwald, Dr Andrew Hammerlindl Dr Christian Bonatti and A/Prof Rafael Potrie: The Shape of Chaos: Geometric Advances in Partially Hyperbolic Dynamics (Discovery Project).
- A/Prof Samuel Müller, Prof Alan Welsh, Dr Francis Hui and Prof Yanyuan Ma: Dimension reduction and model selection for statistically challenging data (Discovery Project).
- Dr Alistair Senior: Diet, Variance and Individual Variability in Life-History (DECRA).
- Dr Haotian Wu: Singularity Analysis for Ricci Flow and Mean Curvature Flow (DECRA).
- Dr Ying Wang: Statistical theory and algorithms for joint inference of complex networks (DECRA).
See the School's Research Grants web page for more information.
Professor Norman Dancer awarded Juliusz Schauder Medal
The Scientific Council of the Juliusz P. Schauder Center for Nonlinear Studies at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland, has awarded the Schauder medal for 2017 to Prof Norman Dancer. The medal is awarded every two years for scientific achievements and contributions to nonlinear analysis and its applications.
Geordie Williamson to be plenary speaker at ICM 2018
Professor Geordie Williamson will be one of the plenary speakers at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Rio de Janeiro in 2018. Held every four years, the International Congress is the world's most prestigious mathematical event, and Professor Williamson is the first Australian to be selected as a plenary speaker.
SIAM awards to Martin Wechselberger.
The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics Activity Group on Dynamical Systems (SIAG/DS) J. D. Crawford Prize for 2017 has been awarded to Prof Martin Wechselberger. The prize is awarded every two years, in recognition of recent outstanding work on a topic in nonlinear science.
Geordie Williamson awarded New Horizons in Mathematics Prize
Associate Professor Geordie Williamson has been awarded a New Horizons in Mathematics Prize for his pioneering work in geometric representation theory, including the development of Hodge theory for Soergel bimodules and the proof of the Kazhdan–Lusztig conjectures for general Coxeter groups.
Gus Lehrer awarded Szekeres Medal
Professor Gus Lehrer is one of two winners of the George Szekeres Medal for 2016. The medal is awarded for an outstanding contribution to the mathematical sciences in the 15 years prior to the year of the award.